Meg Senior Ceremonies
My business involves conducting bespoke, non-religious, humanist wedding and naming ceremonies as requested by couples and families. In order to create and deliver a unique and personal ceremony, I need to collect and process certain personal information relating to you, your family and your friends. Not everything you share is necessarily used in a ceremony. I want you to know that the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information is of the utmost importance to me and to reassure you that I am compliant with the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), which came in on 25th May 2018.
This being the case, I have reviewed the way I collect, use and store and process personal information, and put together this Privacy Statement to explain exactly what I do with your information, and why.
I would like to make it clear that I will never pass your information onto any other person or business unless it is necessary for me to conduct your ceremony. I hope that all the information you might need is here. If you have any questions just ask me.
Under the GDPR, anyone collecting and processing personal information must provide those supplying personal information with a Data Privacy Notice (this document), providing:
• The contact details for the person holding and using the information
• The nature of the information held
• The ways in which it shall be used
• The legal basis for using the information
• The legitimate interests for using the data
• Any third parties to whom the information shall be disclosed and why
• The rights to access and correct the data
My Humanist Celebrant role is conducted as a sole trader business, carried out by Meg Senior. As such, I assume the roles of Data Controller, Data Processor and Data Protection Officer.
Tel: 07890 795647
PURPOSES FOR WHICH THE DATA IS HELD
The purposes for which the personal data are held and shared may include some or all of the following:
• Communicating with the couple/family and related third parties (e.g., wedding venues) regarding the development and delivery of the ceremony
• Delivering the ceremony
• Invoicing for work completed
• Quarterly returns to Humanists UK (anonymised counts) – a requirement of ongoing accreditation
• Promoting Humanist Ceremonies via my website
• The development and training of other Humanist Celebrants accredited with Humanists UK. In this case the data will be suitably anonymised to maintain confidentiality
• Ongoing personal professional development, e.g., peer review and accreditation purposes, in which case copies of ceremonies are shared with the peer reviewer
LAWFUL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND STORING PERSONAL INFORMATION
In the course of my business of preparing and conducting Humanist Ceremonies, I collect and process personal information about my customers, their families and possibly other people.
The Information Commissioner’s Office has confirmed (12.3.18) that LEGITIMATE USE is an acceptable basis for storing all data in order to conduct a ceremony, including data belonging to family or friends who are living and are not the customer.
In the case of information which is provided to me which falls into the ‘SPECIAL CATEGORY’ (racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a trade union, sex life, religion or belief, physical or mental health condition) customers will need to indicate their consent to my use of this information for the conduct of a ceremony by approving the script for presentation in public.
WHAT DATA I COLLECT
Names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, details of people’s lives including relationships with other people, activities such as work, leisure activities and if applicable political, trade union or activities in relation to religion or belief. The form of this data is as follows:
· Paper and electronic copies of Scripts
· Completed Information Sheet (paper)
· Completed Contract (paper)
· Text messages
· Whatsapp messages
· Facebook messages
WHAT I DO WITH DATA
I write and conduct ceremonies, market my services, and keep records for business purposes. I complete a form and make handwritten notes when I visit clients. These are used to prepare the ceremony script. After the ceremony I keep only the most basic information form about the ceremony and the customer for my business records. The handwritten notes are shredded.
WHO I SHARE DATA WITH
Photographs taken at the ceremony may be shared with me later for marketing purposes, use on my website, leaflets, Facebook, Instagram. If I wish to use any photographs taken at your ceremony I will ask for specific consent, which may subsequently be withdrawn at any time. Photographs which I do not use will be deleted.
I may share information at the customer’s request, with other family members or
friends of the customer.
Scripts may be shared with colleagues for training and quality purposes and will be
HOW I STORE DATA
· I keep electronic files including scripts, encrypted on my laptop.
· When I am Peer Reviewed, as required by the terms of my Accreditation by Humanists UK, I share the script with my reviewer. They will destroy all copies electronic and printed once the review has been completed.
· I keep contact details on my mobile phone and laptop.
HOW LONG I KEEP INFORMATION FOR
· Contract and basic information – Kept for 6 years from date of ceremony – Is then deleted
· Emails from customers – Kept for 6 years from date of ceremony – Are then deleted
· Emails from enquiries (no ceremony booked) – 3 months after receipt of email and no further contact – Are then deleted
· Portable electronic copy of script – Kept for 7 days after ceremony – Is then deleted from device
· Main electronic copy of script – Kept encrypted on laptop for 12 months – Personal info is then removed and once anonymised, kept indefinitely in archive for reference
· Contact details including name, address, telephone number, email address – Kept with specific consent indefinitely. Otherwise kept for 7 days after ceremony – Deleted on request within 7 days
· Photographs of ceremonies – Kept with specific consent indefinitely. Otherwise kept for 3 months after ceremony – Deleted on request within 7 days
ACCESS TO THE INFORMATION I HOLD ABOUT YOU
Customers may request access to the information I hold about them at any time, and I will provide this within one month of the request. You may request that your information is deleted, and I will do so within 7 days of any request.
Specific consent for the use of photographs for marketing purposes, may be given for a limited period of time, and may be withdrawn by you at any time. Should consent be withdrawn, photographs will be deleted from my website or other platforms within 7 days of receiving a request. Where photographs have been used in printed form e.g. leaflet, poster, further copies will not be printed.
My website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. I do not control these third-party websites and am not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave my website, I encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
REVIEWING THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
This statement was produced on 1 December 2020 and will be reviewed on 1 December 2022.